Take advantage of your employer! No, we don’t mean by doing your internet shopping when you should be working. However, if your employer is good enough to provide a water cooler, do take advantage of the health benefits this can bring. Here are our five top tips for good health:
1. If you’re aiming to eat a healthy diet with salads for lunch, that’s great. But beware, as dentists say that more than four servings a day of acidic drinks (such as juices) and foods (including salad dressings) can weaken the enamel in our teeth. 80% of dentists spot worn-away enamel in patients every week. So, if you are enjoying dressing on your salads, or other acidic foods, make sure you limit these and take a glass of water afterwards to help cleanse your mouth.
2. Staying with that healthy diet theme, it may be obvious, but remember that water is calorie-free. So-called ‘water plus’ drinks aren’t water: they are soft drinks and some contain added sugar. By drinking water from the water cooler you know what you are getting: plain, simple water.
3. Often our brains confuse thirst with hunger, so next time you’re at work and hit that 3p.m. slump, don’t reach for the biscuits, head for the water cooler instead. It’s a great way to hydrate whilst keeping the waistline under control.
4. Headaches at work? It may not be the work that’s causing a headache, just dehydration. Instead of instantly reaching for that coffee or painkiller to perk you up, it could just be that you are dehydrated. Drink a long, cool glass of water from the water cooler first.
5. If you’re heading out for that well earner sun-downer cocktail after work, make sure you drink a large glass of water first so that you don’t treat the cocktail as a thirst quencher but something to sip and enjoy. Then, do yourself good by having a glass of water for every alcoholic drink you have.
For those in charge of selecting the water cooler supplier in your place of work, make sure they belong to the British Water Cooler Association. Members of the BWCA have to undergo rigorous audits to ensure they offer the best possible guarantees of safety and good hygiene so by using a BWCA Member company you know you’re in good hands. Cheers.